b If there is one thing that should always be present in your kitchen, it’s probably the knife. Knives are a necessity not only for cooking but for plenty of other uses as well. However, the best part of having it in our home is its usefulness in preparing food ingredients. And, this is probably the reason why home cooks and professionals alike look for the best kitchen knife to use, especially when we’re feeling adventurous.
So, whether you’re a newbie who’s trying to get acquainted with the right tools, or a pro looking for a new toy, we prepared a little something for you. We’ve set up reviews on five of the best kitchen knives in 2019. Before we go through that, check out this short buying guide for you to read on.
FAQs When Buying Kitchen Knives
What makes a good kitchen knife?
A good kitchen knife possesses three essential qualities: reliable retention, tough construction, and ease of maintenance. These are the common qualities that most kitchen knives possess. However, if you opt for the best kitchen knife in the market, it will undoubtedly go beyond these qualities. You have to get yourself familiarized with product manufacturing standards and protocols of the best companies in the industry. The best kitchen knife has multifunctional features and serves its purpose most satisfyingly.
What should I look for when buying a kitchen knife?
In choosing a kitchen knife, these are the most important features to watch out for:
- If you’re starting to learn how to use a kitchen knife, you should probably choose the chef’s knife. The name may sound intimidating for beginners, but it’s the opposite. A chef’s knife is meant to be user-friendly, and most importantly, it has to be versatile. Learners get spared with the confusion of deciding what kind of knife to use in a particular food or ingredient.
- There are different kinds of kitchen knives. Look for the best knife that will deliver the type of product function you’re planning to buy. For example, a paring knife is smaller than regular kitchen knives. It’s certainly not for chopping large chunks of meat. On a different note, this kind of blade is suitable for trimming Brussel sprouts and strawberries.
- The functions of a kitchen knife are contributed significantly by the materials used in constructing the product. This feature can make or break the product. Plus, you also have to make sure that you research the proper maintenance of specific product material.
Kitchen Knife Maintenance
Here are a few quick tips on general kitchen knife maintenance:
- Store your kitchen knife in proper places to avoid abrasions on the blade. Set up a kitchen stand where you can secure your knives without exposing the part of the blade. Constant scrapes on the blade may lead to larger scratches, which will eventually affect the performance of the kitchen knife.
- Cleaning your kitchen knife is basically the same as the maintenance that you practice on other devices and appliances. Some products are dishwasher safe, but it is most recommended to handwash your kitchen knife. This way, there will be no direct contact with other utensils and kitchen tools that are also inside the dishwasher: lesser friction, lesser abrasions.
- Kitchen knives need sharpening regularly. You don’t have to do it every after use, but some blade materials may require a frequent session. Usually, it is necessary to hone the blades after using twice or thrice. Although, you can sharpen the blade whenever you notice that it is not as sharp as it’s supposed to be.
Top Five Kitchen Knives: The Best of 2019 Reviews
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
There is no surprise that many culinary professionals and home-cooking parents consider Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife the top choice for their kitchen. The Swiss Knife quality has been proven and tested over the years. The blade is expertly crafted to achieve high-quality sharpened edges. You can notice the difference with its sharpness and efficiency in various kitchen functions. The handle is designed ergonomically for a comfortable grip and to prevent wrist fatigue. The design of this product is planned meticulously to the last bit.You can carve all kinds of meat and vegetables for your meal plans. Give this all-rounder a try!
- Length: 7.9 inches
- Type of Edge: Straight
- Material: Stainless Steel blade; Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE) handle
- Top choice for professionals and home chefs
- Laser-tested, razor-sharp all-in-one kitchen knife
- Multipurpose knife for slicing, chopping, dicing, mincing, and shredding
- Tapered edges for smooth cutting
- High-quality, lightweight European steel
- Non-slip Fibrox Pro handle
- Dishwasher-safe materials
- Trusted Swiss knife quality
- Not suitable for filleting and chopping hard bones
- Zelite Infinity Damascus Japanese Chef Knife
The Zelite Infinity Damascus Japanese Chef Knife arrives ready upon unboxing. The blades are hand sharpened and prepared for immediate use. If you’re a beginner in cooking, you can feel comfortable using this kitchen knife and feel like a pro.First-class materials are brought together to create a product with the highest standards in the industry. Seasoned chefs can tell the difference. The performance of this Santoku is going to change your cooking experience.
- Length: 8 inches
- Material: 67-layer, high-carbon Stainless Steel blade
- The ultimate choice for beginners and professional cooks
- Full tang, hand-sharpened, double bevel knife
- Japanese AUS-10 Super Steel blade
- Gold-standard finish through the 3-step Honbazuke Method
- Military-grade G10 handle for a comfortable grip
- Great for slicing, chopping, and filleting
- Damascus pattern prevents stains, corrosion, and discoloration
- Heavier blade and handle
- More expensive than usual kitchen knives
- Mercer Culinary Millennia Utility Knife
This utility knife is a must-have in every kitchen. The Mercer Culinary Millennia Utility Knife is efficient for small and thin slices. It is also perfect for slicing, chopping, and even filleting fish and chicken. This one may be small, but it also has its own advantages. The design of this kitchen knife is safe for users and easy to maintain. Tha sharpness is not a question as well. You can swiftly cut slices in sizes that you prefer most. In short, it has the three qualities you should be looking for in a utility knife: performance, safety, and quality.
- Length: 6 inches
- Material: high-carbon Japanese steel blade; Santoprene and Polypropylene handle
- Handy and durable utility knife
- Stain-free Japanese steel
- Textured finger points for slip resistance
- Protective finger guard
- Razor-sharp blade
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Easy to maintain
- NSF certified kitchen tool
- Not suitable for slicing or chopping large ingredients
- Imarku Professional Chef’s Knife
The Imarku Professional Chef’s Knife could be your next kitchen companion. It has a classy design that can add up to your rustic collection. This product has a comfortable design made from quality materials and top-of-the-line technology. The toughness and functionality are maintainable for a long time because of the durability according to the best product standards. The blade has a protective finish to maintain a sleek look and excellent performance.
- Length: 8 inches
- Material: blade- Stainless Steel, Carbon, and Chrome
- Ideal for all types of kitchen use
- Made with German technology
- Strong and durable built
- Comfortable handgrip
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Not advisable to use on hot food or anywhere near a burning flame
- Not advisable to slice frozen food
- Mad Shark Professional Santoku Knife
Achieve precise cut with the Mad Shark Professional Santoku Knife. This nitrogen-cooled blade is for enhanced hardness, flexibility, and resistance to corrosion. The product has a well-balanced design for maximum comfort in food preparation. The German High Carbon material enables you to use the knife on different kinds of food, at any temperature level. The triple-riveted handle is also highly immune to moisture, heat, and cold. Mad Shark aims to give you a paramount experience, whether you’re a hobbyist or a professional chef.
- Length: 7 inches
- Material: Stainless Steel blade, High-polymer handle
- Outstanding craftsmanship on Entry Lux series
- Premium German HC (high carbon), all-around cooking knife
- Hollow edge design for lesser suction
- Military-grade, ergonomic handle
- Ultra-sharp edge design
- Rust and stain-resistant
- Stunning unique design
- Shorter blade length
The Best Knife That Every Kitchen Needs
The trusted favorite blade is here to invade your kitchens. Built with the leading European steel, you will own the best knife like no other. The Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife can handle almost every task. This knife could be the next essential thing that you will love to include in your cart.
The Fibrox Pro is patterned by Victorinox to be an ergonomically designed carving knife. It outlines the same technology applied in the manufacturing standards of Swiss knives. Victorinox produces only the best products, and they are also bragging their human-made outputs fabricated from raw materials. Each item is particularly checked to meet the measured weight and balance specifications. The quality check makes sure that the cutting performance is at its finest, and the products are safe for the users.
Maintaining this kitchen knife is not going to be a big hassle. There are a few parts of the guidelines that will need you to apply extra care, but the general task is attainable so far as possible. And, of course, you also have to sharpen and hone the blade from time to time. More specifically, you have to schedule every after a couple of uses. The durability of this kitchen tool depends on how you can thoroughly apply the guidelines on proper care and use of the product. The rest can be taken care of by the Victorinox Fibrox Pro kitchen knife.